This problem is equally common for both men and women. Stretch marks do not harm your health, but they affect the way your body looks.
Stretch marks naturally appears as scars on your body due to hormonal change (from puberty to body building) or to a rapid weight loss-gain game, which is the most common. Most of the time, you can find stretch marks on places where more fat are formed.
Stretch marks are scars which appear because the dermis (the middle part of your skin) was torn apart from the inside, making the outer skin stretch to adjust right away. Sometimes, a pigmentation can be found instead of a scar. The scar spot experiences skin atrophy, therefore, it has no color, no collagen and no elasticity.
Most of the marks will start to appear on your skin as of pink or purplish in color. This is the the stage when they are still curable. Then, they lose color due to to skin atrophy and they stay very pale — white or silver. The last stage is hard to cure, but you can still reduce their appearance.
People who most likely should be aware of stretch marks:
– Teenagers who have a very painful puberty period (hormonal influence)
– People who quickly lose a lot of weight (unnatural action)
– Bodybuilders who grow their muscles too fast (unnatural action)
– People whose parents have stretch marks (genetics)
– Women on the 7th month of pregnancy (natural cause)
When you have a hunch that stretch marks will possibly appear on your skin due to pregnancy, hormonal change or extreme weight loss or weight gain, it is a good idea to start treating you body with products that help improve your skin’s elasticity.
1. Natural Oils. You can use Extra Virgin Olive Oil to apply on your skin twice a day. Olive oil will naturally make your skin softer. It will help your skin deal better with sudden dermis stretch. When the marks start to appear, you should apply Castor Oil every day and wrap your body part with cotton cloth to prevent the skin from further stretching. Do this every day for a month for more noticeable results.
2. Body Mask: Aloe Vera + Vitamins A, E. Squeeze the juice from Aloe Vera Plant or take a cup of Aloe Vera Gel. Add 8 capsules of Vitamin E and 6 capsules of Vitamin A. Mix it all together and apply to your skin for 20 minutes. Apply this mask 3-5 times a week for a better results.
3. Egg Whites + Sugar. Egg whites has an effect of pulling the skin back, making it tighter and healthy looking. Natural White Sugar is one of the best remedies to fight the stretch marks. Mix two egg whites with 2 spoons of sugar and apply it on your skin for 20-30 minutes. Apply this mask on the affected areas twice a week and get positive results.
4. Retin-A + Glycolic Acid. This combination works very well in getting rid of stretch marks. Don’t use Retin-A during pregnancy or while breast feeding though. Apply Retin-A on the parts of your body that you need to cure and then apply Glycolic Acid on top.
5. Consume a lot of Vitamin C. Vitamin C helps with cell regeneration and collagen production. The more you supply your body with it, the more active your skin cells become in healing your body. You can find Vitamin C in kiwis, oranges, peppers, kale, broccoli and berries.
LASER, SURGICAL, PEEL & MORE STRETCH MARKS REMOVAL:
6. Laser stretch mark removal is effective for the marks which have lost their color. Laser light removes the skin layer around the scar, promoting faster healing, quicker skin cell regeneration and collagen production. This method is the fastest and most effective one. But keep in mind, the procedure has to be taken 3-10 times (depending on how old the scar is) and it’s pretty expensive. Plus, your skin will take anywhere from 3 days to a couple of weeks to heal properly.
There is also risk. Laser can damage some of your skin cells, not giving you the expected results. Therefore, choose your clinic and doctor carefully.
7. Surgical stretch marks removal is effective too. It is the simple removal of extra skin, the ones that have stretch marks on it like from your tummy. This procedure only available for tummy tuck and requires the patient to be in a good health condition.
8. Chemical peels and Microdermabrasion don’t remove the stretch marks completely, but they can reduce it very well. During these procedures, your top skin layer gets peeled off in order for the skin to create a new, healthier one, the one without marks on it. This procedure also used for removing wrinkles and acne scars.
CREAMS AND GELS TO REMOVE STRETCH MARKS:
9. Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula Tummy Butter for Stretch Marks. This cream is recommended before, after and during pregnancy. Contains Vitamin E, collagen and elastin – all necessary ingredients to reduce your stretch marks. This is safe to use for sensitive skin. It makes your skin relaxed. Recommend use is before bedtime.
10. StriVectin-SD guarantees results from 2 to 8 weeks of use. It comes as with regular strong formula or a milder one for those with sensitive skin.
11. Weleda Pregnancy Body Oil is safe to use up to 5th month of pregnancy. This oil contains sweet almond oil, jojoba oil, and arnica. It is good with reducing minor stretch marks and helps your skin’s elasticity levels in order to prevent new stretch marks from appearing.
12. Maroc100 Rose Hydration Stretch Mark Cream contains organic ingredients such as argan oil, shea butter, green tea extract and blue green algae. These help with skin cells rejuvenation.
13. Mederma Advanced Scar Gel works great for any type of scar – stretch mark, acne, fresh or old scar. It significantly improves the color, texture and the size of the scar.
Use the treatments suggested above and enjoy your healed, radiant-as-before, beautiful skin.
But, don’t forget, if your body is healthy and your mind is strong, your beauty will radiate and outshine any cosmetic issue!